The latest car update comes courtesy of something I discovered just prior to the 'Ring trip.

I was busy with the puzzle of fitting a week's worth of supplies into the back of the S2000, when after removing the tool kit from the bottom of the well, I found out exactly why it was called a well... I had water 2" deep sloshing around underneath everything. Not ideal!
Picture
A little damp in the back...
It was something that I'd put off for some time, almost knowingly, as I'd seen the common leak threads on the S2000 forum and I'd also seen my rear lights misting up, a tell tale sign that something isn't right. As such, it didn't come as a complete shock. Either way, I was heading to Germany in less than 24 hours time as it would have to wait til my return to be treated.

I knew from my research that there could have been any of three sources of my problem. The most likely, I figured, was the roof, not in the best condition and certainly in need of a replacement early next year. The fix for this involved most of the interior being removed, something that I wasn't too keen to try. Another option would be the rails in front of the boot lid, though everything around this area seemed to be dry. The final source would be a vent behind the back bumper, with an easy fix. It turned out to soaking around this area, and I'd got relatively lucky with a simple job on my hands.

Working on a Honda is a joy, having come from French cars where nothing is designed to be removed and there are awkward sized torx screws everywhere, the handful of bolts to remove the rear bumper are a doddle and it was off in less than 10 minutes, giving me access to the problematic vent. At this point it was clear to see that this was where the water was getting in. With everything dried off, all it took was a tube full of silicon sealer to see things right.
Picture
Silicon seal on the outside...
Picture
...and silicon seal on the inside, just to be sure!
With the problem fixed, I mopped up the remaining water from the boot floor and pondered for a second. A previous owner had fitted sound deadening throughout the boot for his sound system and I thought I may have been saved from the water penetrating further. Even still, I couldn't be sure and made the decision to gut the well back to the metal. Good call. Yet more water was lurking underneath and the OEM insulation below was soggy too. I didn't stop until it was all out. Now looking quite a mess, though clear to see there was only a little surface rust.
Picture
Gutted
Picture
The damage wasn't too bad
Picture
A whole bag full of sound deadening removed!
I had poured some water over the fix and everything seemed watertight, but I decided to leave the boot in it's current state for the week to ensure that it had worked, and that no water was entering from another source. It turned out to be just the week for my testing, some of the worst floods to hit the area would surely show how effective my repair would be. And effective it was, with everything dry as a bone come the weekend. A successful job carried out, all that remained now was to sand down the rust, apply a coat of Hammerite to further protect the area and once that had dried, replace all the trim, back to normal.

Job done!
Picture
A good test for the freshly sealed vent
 


19/04/2013 06:57

When buying a used car should always check its history.

Reply



Leave a Reply.