Another cold, wet, early morning? Time for another car show surely? 

And this time it's PPC in the Park, which as it's name suggests is held at Mallory Park, in Leicestershire. I had stayed the night before in Gloucester, though this still meant a good couple of hours in the early morning for our convoy to reach the circuit in time for the morning's track briefing. 100 miles with the roof down at that time in the morning, with the rain coming in over the side windows coupled with a lack of sleep from the night before was just enough to give me a dull headache which remained with me for the weekend and put me in a mood to match the weather.

Arriving at Mallory Park we were allocated a spot for our club to set up a stand, with a decent showing of eight cars. With Adam's MR2 developing a knock after fitting new wheels, Stu's Golf and Chris's MX-5 headed out on track in the first session at 9am, the S2000 and MR2 became the most impractical cars to store all of the camping kit and tools in. 

We wandered up to the hairpin to watch the track action, with session A's damp conditions proving entertaining, with anything RWD getting a nice dose of sideways coming out of the corner. Most impressive being a Capri with a BGW and perhaps's not completely intentionally, the MX-5!

The track action continued throughout the day, the venue in the centre of the track providing superb viewing all around. I spent the remainder of the day giving the S2000 a wipe over til it looked reasonably shiny, then looking around the other stands trying to shift the headache and catching up with a few old friends, mainly on the 106 Rallye Register stand.

With the show drawing to a close, it was camping next on the agenda and time for us to put up our erections. Of course, I had mine up in five minutes, though Chris seemed to be struggling, even with Adam's help... The legendary B4T barbeque was in attendance, so a trip out to the nearest Morrisons was in order to source some trade mark 22mm sausages for our Snap-on cooking utensils. What seemed like dodgy looking cooking had actually turned out well and been enjoyed all around with no ill effects and with the evening meal over, the barbeque was turned into a camp fire, with first cardboard and rubbish and later on any form of automotive supplies (engine oil, gearbox oil and very flammable power steering fluid) keeping us warm well into the night.

The following morning, McDonalds breakfast was the recovery cure, at least after Stu's second trip having forgotten his wallet the first time. I can still taste that horrible black tea though...
More photos in the Gallery

Leave a Reply.